Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Disney's new Magic Bands

I got the chance to take part in beta testing for the new Magic Band system for Disney. It's also part of the new My Disney Experience.
 
So what are the Magic Bands?
 
Usually when you stay at Disney you have to carry your hotel card, your dining plan card, fastpasses, tickets, all that good stuff. The idea for the Magic Bands are to combine all of that.
 
It's a wristband that you can customize by picking a color and they will engrave your name on it. (I didn't get to since I was just a beta) You can go online to My Disney Experience LINK and you can add your hotel, make reservations at restaurants, and  pick your fastpasses. You can also add charging ability.
 
When you go to open the door to your hotel room you touch the Mickey head on the band to the Mickey head on the lock, Or when you go to pay for something there are new swipe machines that also have the Mickey face that you touch with the band.
 
It's actually really cool! You don't have to keep track of all this crap, and if you need to change or check on anything you can go to one of the kiosks in the park, OR even better they have an app that you can download to manage your account.
 
The only thing I think is a downside is you only get 3 fastpasses per day. There is no way you can get more than three. You have to sign up for them ahead of time and there are only so many for each ride, so if you don't pick enough in advance then you probably won't get them for the rides that you want. I at least think that you should be able to get more than three. Even if they charge extra per pass that you want to get.
 
Other than that this is great! Awesomely high tech. The band itself is waterproof and you can wear it to sleep. Unless you are actually trying to lose it chances are it will stay on your persons the whole time. They are made to withstand the water parks.
 
This won't actually be a thing for a while yet. They are still going through a LOT of testing to work out some of the kinks, but from my experience with it I would give it an 8/10. Since I didn't do the dining plan option I cannot give it points for that, and there was one touch point (That's what they call the Mickey face) it took me an my brother a couple tries to get it to read.
 
 
Magic Band... yo
 
 
It's quite snazzy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment